Join us as a Principal Engineer
- This is an exciting and challenging role that will see you leading best practice for application development and software development lifecycle within the bank. The role will functionally report to the Platform Lead, Transaction Banking, Commercial & Private Banking (CPB) Technology and will regionally report to the Head of CPB Technology India and will be a member of the CPB Technology India Leadership Team
- With your software development background, you’ll be delivering software components to enable the delivery of platforms, applications and services for the bank
- You’ll gain valuable senior stakeholder exposure as well as the opportunity to hone your technical talents and leadership skills
What you'll do
As a Principal Engineer, you’ll be driving development software and tools to accomplish project and departmental objectives by converting functional and non-functional requirements into suitable designs. You’ll lead a team of junior Principal Engineers, DevOps Engineers, and Software Engineers, expected to number in the range of 45-75 FTE. You’ll play a leading role in planning, developing and deploying high performance robust and resilient systems for the bank, while advising on product roadmaps and migration pans and leading engagements with senior stakeholders to explore and suggest appropriate technical solutions to achieve the required product features.
You’ll have the opportunity to develop your leadership skills as you manage one or more software engineering teams, overseeing the quality of their work and making sure it meets the required technical standards.
You’ll also be:
- Designing and developing high performance and high availability applications, using proven frameworks and technologies
- Leading the software engineering practice within the Transaction Banking domain and managing the domain engineering strategy (coding standards, architectural compliance and integrity, performance, resilience and reusability), agile software development capability, DevOps practices and overarching engineering outcomes
- Working with the various feature teams within the Transaction Banking (TB) domain of Commercial & Private Banking (CPB), to produce software rapidly and of high quality which adds value to the business
- Working with the Platform Lead, Product and Release Managers to design and delivery approach for all the Platform’s software throughout its life & improving the Bank’s overall software engineering capability
- Coaching, mentoring and guiding software development leveraging agile methods and DevOps practices, to produce resilient and long-lived software assets
- Working with the Domain Architect and other Architects, Designers and Engineers across the bank, deliver intentional architecture and the formulation of emergent design for Transaction Banking solutions
- Leading the wider participation in internal and industry wide events, conferences and other activities
- Making sure that the bank’s systems follow excellent architectural and engineering principles, and are fit for purpose
- Monitoring the technical progress against plans while safeguarding functionality, scalability and performance, and providing progress updates to stakeholders
- Leveraging DevOps techniques & driving up CI/CD automation levels and achieving the speed to value gains and efficiency savings that result from an improved development pipeline.
- Influencing the development of technical strategies and architecture at Domain and Enterprise levels, identifying transformational opportunities for the businesses and technology areas.
- Creating a great place to work with a culture of learning and continuous improvement, through great people leadership, coaching, engagement and development of skills
- Providing regional leadership for Transaction Banking as a member of the CPB India Technology leadership team
The skills you'll need
You’ll come with a background in software engineering, software or database design and architecture, as well as significant experience developing software within an SOA or microservices paradigm.
Along with development experience in one or more programming languages, you’ll bring an excellent understanding of implementing programming best practice, especially around scalability, availability and performance.
You’ll also need:
- A strong background in leading software development teams, introducing and executing technical strategies
- Knowledge of using industry recognised frameworks and development tooling
- Experience of test-driven development and using automated test frameworks, mocking and stubbing and unit testing tools
- A background in designing or implementing APIs
- Experience of supporting, modifying and maintaining systems and code developed by teams other than your own
- The ability to rapidly and effectively understand and translate product and business requirements into technical solutions
- Strong people management skills including proven successful line management of large, multi-layered teams which are geographically dispersed and a mix of permanent and third-party staff
- Significant and demonstrable experience of developing software within a Dev Ops/Agile framework where products are delivered to short delivery cycles, with frequent deployment and continuous integration and development.
- Commercial Banking Business and Technical knowledge is preferred
- Strong working knowledge of Agile and DevOps methods and motives
- As a guideline, typically 15+ years of overall experience in Software Engineering & associated leadership